July 23, 2009

A Short History of Medicine

A Short History of Medicine: "Doctor, I have an ear ache."

2000 B.C. - "Here, eat this root."
1000 A.D. - "That root is heathen, say this prayer."
1850 A.D. - "That prayer is superstition, drink this potion."
1940 A.D. - "That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill."
1985 A.D. - "That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic."
2000 A.D. - "That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root!"

What are we going to be laughing at in the future about today's medicine?


From: Medical Jokes and Milestones of Medicine

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Good ol' nutrition, saving the day!
    -blair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey WHATS GOING ON WITH THIS BLOG?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of wish I had added as a postscript, that despite centuries of progress in medicinal research, there are a number of parties that would have us regress into following unsubstantiated, anecdotal evidence for health and healing. At least, that's what I got out of it. But I like what Blair got out of it too, didn't look at it that way before!

    ReplyDelete