January 14, 2009

If you Believe it, you can Be it


"The Brain that Changes Itself" is changing my life. For the first time in my life, I truly believe that I can become whatever I set my mind to... literally. Whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks got it very, very wrong.

This book, by the psychoanalyst, psychiatrist, and researcher Norman Doidge, M.D., is about neuroplasticity. In it, the reader begins to understand how we learn, what teaches us to focus, to remember, and to engage with our world. It shows us the incredible power that the mind has to overcome the odds stacked against us, whether it is our genetics, a stroke, or a crippling childhood trauma. Our brain has the ability to change both its structure and its function, to become faster and stronger, if only we can find the right way to teach it.

My mission: build myself a better brain.

Read about it here: http://www.normandoidge.com/normandoidge/MAIN.html
WATCH IT! here: http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2008/brainchangesitself/

3 comments:

  1. you can start here: http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

    The Dual N-Back exercise featured in Brain Workshop was the subject of an April 2008 peer-reviewed scientific study which shows that practicing the Dual N-Back task for 20 minutes 4-5 days per week will improve your working memory (short term memory) and fluid intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous, that sounds really promising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it gets more promising when you start seeing the results. it really works!

    super fun hint: if you look reaaaal closely in the video, you can find me

    ReplyDelete